Year 10 Athletics team emerge as District Champions plus individual success from all year groups!
On Friday 25th June, we had some fantastic results from the District Athletics Championships that took place at Ridlins Athletics Stadium in Stevenage.
There were some brilliant individual results and a lot of pupils taking part to represent BHGS for the first time (or first time in 2 years) left us in the following positions at the end of the day: Year 7 – 2nd place overall Year 8 – 3rd place overall Year 9 – 4th place overall (by 1 point!) Year 10 – 1st and District Champions!
Overall – BHGS Girls – 3rd place. A fantastic result and a real team effort from everyone!
The following pupils won their event/s:
- Dyllis O-A (7Au) – 1st place in the Year 7 Girls High Jump
- Ella C (87Pa) – 1st place in the Year 7 Girls 200m
- Dyllis O-A (7Au), Zoe A-A (7Ha), Enya B (7Au) and Ella C (7Pa) – 1st place in the Year 7 Girls 4 x 100m relay.
- Ife N (8Pa)- 1st place in the Year 8 Girls Shotput
- Natu K (9Fr) – 1st place in the Year 9 Girls 200m
- Amelie H (10Au) – 1st place in the Year 10 Girls 100m AND New District Record (See below)
- Katelin R (7Ha) – 1st place in the Year 10 Girls 200m
- Amelie D (10Au) – 1st place in the Year 10 Girls 300m
- Daniella S (10Pa) – 1st place in the Year 10 Girls 800m AND New District Record (See below)
- Ena O (10Pa) – 1st place in the Year 10 Girls High Jump AND New District Record (See below)
- Ena O (10Pa) – 1st place in the Year 10 Girls Hurdles
There were a few pupils who not only won their events but also set new District Records:
- Amelie H set a new record for the Year 10 100m in a time of 12.47s,
- Daniella S set a new record for the Year 10 800m in a time of 2m34s,
- Ena O set a new record for the Year 10 High Jump record with a height of 1m60cm and finally
- The Year 10 relay team (Ena O, Erin A, Katelin R and Amelie H) set a new record for the 4 x 100m to set a new time of 53.94s
The MVP for the competition (the pupil who won the most medals and points during the Championship) was Ena O who won 3 Gold Medals in the 80m Hurdles, High Jump and 4 x 100m relay. Ena also set 2 new District Records for the High Jump and as part of the 4 x 100m relay.
A huge well done to all of the girls involved. A phenomenal season for all teams at both District and County level. With the Year 10 team winning the District Championship, this means they have gone undefeated this season with 4 County League wins. A particular well done to all of the Year 10 pupils, especially juggling extra curricular commitments leading up to (and during) their mock exams.
Thank you to Mrs Higgins, Mrs Clark and Mrs Newberry for coming along to help out at Athletics Club this season and a particular huge thank you to the PE staff who have given up a lot of time this season (both at clubs and fixtures) to give the girls the opportunity to compete – Miss Cameron, Mrs Waters, Miss Oakman and Miss Morgan.
Well done, girls! Roll on Sports Day!