Action Packed Exploration of One of the World’s Greatest Cities
On the 28th March seventeen Year 10 pupils accompanied by Mrs Johns, Ms Nickson and Mr Taylor flew to Barcelona to explore the city, Catalan culture and put their Spanish language skills to use.
Many thanks to Mrs Johns for organising the trip. By the time the group returned on Sunday 31st March, pupils had explored Barcelona’s famous landmarks and heritage, starting on Friday with La Plaça de Catalunya, seeing Gaudí’s architecture along the way and culminating with a visit to La Sagrada Família basilica. Having ascended one of the towers, pupils could see the whole skyline of this famous city. Cooling off in the beautiful Parc de la Ciutadella, they finished the day with the nightly sound and light spectacle of La Fuente Mágica (The Magic Fountain).
The following day, by contrast, the pupils discovered the culinary heritage of the region starting with the historic and colourful La Boqueria food market, being initially guided round the stalls by one of Barcelona’s chefs. The Chocolate Museum proved popular too, followed by beach-time at La Platja de Barceloneta. The day concluded with a stroll up Las Ramblas to a typical tapas restaurant for the evening meal.
The visit concluded on Sunday with the chance to explore one more of Gaudí’s modernist creations, the Park Güell, before a lunch at the hotel and departure for the airport by coach. This was the first visit to Barcelona in this format and we look forward to offering a similar programme to pupils in the years to come.
- “It was amazing, we did so much in such a short space of time and I learnt so much” GH
- “It was a really exciting trip. I learnt a lot about the Spanish culture and enjoyed looking at all the famous places and practising the language” MdC
- “We had a brilliant time on the Barcelona Trip. The teachers made it really enjoyable and the activities were so fun! I wish we could have stayed longer” EA
- “It was an amazing trip and a great experience! I absolutely loved every second” GW
- “It was a fantastic experience filled with lots of fun, thought-provoking activities to do around Barcelona” EH
- “I really enjoyed our trip to Barcelona particularly the day we spent at the beach. It was beneficial to practise our Spanish and I loved watching the magic fountain display” TH
- “The trip was lots of fun and very interesting. It was exciting to practise Spanish with other people e.g. the ice cream man. I enjoyed it a lot. The best part was watching the Magic Fountain performance. It was amazing and La Sagrada Familia and Park Güell were breath-taking” AS
- “I found the trip lots of fun and very interesting. I also liked the tapas meal we had, especially the chicken croquettes. I would 100% recommend other years to go on this trip. It also helped with learning and practising our Spanish” EM
- “I found the trip to Barcelona really helpful to practise listening and speaking Spanish. I loved the Magic Fountain and La Sagrada Família. Also I liked visiting the food market and finding out about the different food eaten in Spain and their history” F O-A