The aim of the English Department is to enable all students to communicate and comprehend the English Language and to foster an enjoyment of reading.
* There are 4 dedicated English classrooms, two of which are equipped with Interactive Whiteboards, whilst two are equipped with projectors.
* We have a range of technology for use in the department, including digital cameras, video cameras, Kindles and stand-alone televisions and DVD players.
* A wide range of texts and text books are used in teaching across the spectrum.
* The Rotary Club public speaking group competes yearly in local and regional competitions.
* Year 9 visit the Warner Brothers Studios yearly to participate in Media activities within the Harry Potter Studios.
* Year 7 and 8 participate in a sponsored reading challenge each year.
* Theatre visits are regularly organised, including a yearly visit to the Globe Theatre.
* Gifted and Talented workshops are regularly organised for all years.
* GCSE and A-level Revision classes are organised.
To study A-level English Literature, students must gain at least a B-grade in GCSE English Literature and English language.