The aim is to introduce to pupils the process of design through the manufacturing of a variety of products utilising a range of materials. The teaching includes an introduction to industrial production and process and the importance of CAD/CAM in the manufacture of everyday products.
* All pupils are taught Design and Technology in KS3 (carousel system where groups rotate in mixed forms/double lessons)
* At KS4 pupils have the option to progress further in Graphics and Textiles
* All KS4 pupils have 3 lessons per week
* Graphics and Textiles courses at KS4 make use of the AQA specification
* All teaching follows the National Curriculum guidelines through focus practical tasks and major projects * Product Design is offered at KS5 (within the Welwyn/Hatfield Consortium)
Accommodation and Resources
There are two specialist rooms for Resistant Materials/Graphics equipped with a variety of ICT equipment, 3-D printer, machine/hand tools and a heat treatment area. There is one specialist room for Textiles. Computers/computer suites are available for teaching in all subject areas. A wide range of text books and software is used to aid learning.